Schoenthal, TX


By: Oscar Haas

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Schoenthal, ten miles west of New Braunfels in southern Comal County, was settled in 1851, when land of the M. Gallardo survey was broken into farms. The town was originally called Haag's Settlement, and the Haag's Settlement school was erected in 1865. By the 1880s the community was known as Schoenthal (German for "pretty valley"). In the vicinity are Natural Bridge Caverns, an important local tourist attraction, and Bat Cave. The latter was once the source of 1,000 tons of bat guano annually.

Oscar Haas, History of New Braunfels and Comal County, Texas, 1844–1946 (Austin: Steck, 1968).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Oscar Haas, “Schoenthal, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/schoenthal-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Schoenthal
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Comal County
Associated Names

Haag's Settlement

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.69216870°
  • Longitude: -98.34251410°