The School Land Board was established in 1939, when the legislature set apart and dedicated to the Permanent School Fund the mineral estate in riverbeds and channels and in all areas within the tidewater limits, including islands, lakes, bays, and the bed of the sea belonging to the state. All the duties of the abolished Board of Mineral Development (established in 1931) were transferred to the School Land Board. The board supervised the management, leasing, and sale of the public school lands, determined the prices at which land may be leased or sold, and performed other duties as required by law. Originally the board was composed of the commissioner of the General Land Office and the governor as ex officio members, and one citizen member appointed by the governor. In 1965 the governor was taken off the board and was replaced by another citizen member appointed by the attorney general. The two citizen members were appointed for two-year terms, while the land commissioner served during his term of office. The General Land Office provided administrative support for the School Land Board.