Scottsville, TX


By: Christine A. Keffeler

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 3, 2021


Scottsville, on Farm roads 1998 and 2199, four miles east of Marshall in east central Harrison County, was named after its founder, William Thomas Scott, who moved to Texas from Louisiana in 1840. In 1840 Scott's slaves built his lavish plantation home, reputedly identical to Jefferson Davis's Mississippi mansion. Scottsville's White schoolchildren attended classes in the small schoolhouse that Scott had built; it was staffed with the Scott family governess. The Scotts also established the first church in the community, a Methodist congregation. During the Civil War the Scott plantation provided provisions for Confederate troops. On August 4, 1869, Scottsville was granted a post office. Its population was reported as 300 in 1929, as 50 during the Great Depression, and as around 260 by 1950, a total that remained fairly steady into the 1980s. In the early 1990s Scottsville, which still had its post office, was an incorporated community and reported 287 residents and eleven businesses. In 2000 the population was 263.

Marshall News Messenger, November 10, 1963.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christine A. Keffeler, “Scottsville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 14, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/scottsville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 3, 2021

Place
Scottsville
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2411846
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: Yes
Belongs to
  • Harrison County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.54042450°
  • Longitude: -94.23932900°
Population Counts
People Year
283 1990
263 2000
376 2010
370 2019