Scrub Creek, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: June 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Scrub Creek was a farming community off Farm Road 358 ten miles northeast of Groveton in northeastern Trinity County. It was first settled around the time of the Civil War and was named for a nearby creek. A school was established there before 1877; in 1896 it had an enrollment of thirty-four. During the 1930s the small community had a school, a church, a store, and a number of houses. The school was later consolidated with that of Centerville, and in the early 1990s only a church and a few scattered houses remained in the area.

Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Scrub Creek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/scrub-creek-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995

Loading