Searsville, TX


By: Karen Yancy

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995


Searsville was near the junction of Farm roads 217 and 854, two miles northwest of Valley Mills and twenty-three miles northwest of Waco in southern Bosque County. It was named after Josiah LeGrand Sears, who moved to Waco from Appomattox County, Virginia, in 1854. A few years later he brought his wife to the Searsville settlement. He operated a drug and general merchandise store in the community during the Civil War and a post office from 1859 to 1866. Apparently no population figures have ever been recorded for Searsville.

William C. Pool, Bosque Territory (Kyle, Texas: Chaparral, 1964).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Karen Yancy, “Searsville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/searsville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Place
Searsville
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1376056
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bosque County
Associated Names

Neill's Creek

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.65793900°
  • Longitude: -97.50529470°