Sebree, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Sebree was in southern Jack County. Settlement of the area probably occurred in the middle to late 1880s. Development of the community was stimulated by the arrival of the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad. A post office was established in 1899. By 1910 Sebree had become a community center for area farmers and ranchers. Three general stores, a cotton gin, a grocery store, and a dry goods store served an estimated 200 residents in 1914. Soil erosion reduced the productivity of the land surrounding the community, however, and residents left Sebree for Jacksboro, the county seat, fourteen miles to the north, and for Bryson, where oil had been discovered in the 1920s. The post office was closed in 1915, and by the mid-1940s Sebree no longer existed.

Thomas F. Horton, History of Jack County (Jacksboro, Texas: Gazette Print, 193-?). Ida Lasater Huckabay, Ninety-Four Years in Jack County (Austin: Steck, 1949; centennial ed., Waco: Texian Press, 1974). Jack County Scrapbook, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Sebree, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sebree-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Sebree
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jack County
Associated Names

[New] Vineyard

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.16789390°
  • Longitude: -97.96642800°