Second Creek, TX


By: Charles Christopher Jackson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: July 1, 1995


Second Creek is on the banks of Second Davidson Creek three miles south of Caldwell in central Burleson County. Settlement in the vicinity began in the late 1830s, when Hugh McKeen moved his family from New York to a tract of land on what was referred to as Second Creek, in the midst of the Blackland Prairie along the Old San Antonio Road. McKeen constructed a house and a gristmill on the creek. He was soon joined by his brother John, and the Second Creek community seems to have coalesced in the vicinity during the mid-nineteenth century. The Second Creek Church stood on the southern edge of the community during the mid-twentieth century. In 1966 the settlement reported a population of ten.

Malcolm H. Addison, Reminiscences of Burleson County, Texas (Caldwell, Texas, 1886; rpt., Caldwell: Caldwell Printing, 1971).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles Christopher Jackson, “Second Creek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/second-creek-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
July 1, 1995

Place
Second Creek
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1367920
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Burleson County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.49555300°
  • Longitude: -96.69117600°