Seglar, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Seglar was six miles east of Lytle and twenty-one miles southwest of downtown San Antonio in southwestern Bexar County. It was settled sometime after the Civil War as Briggs, after George A. Briggs who served as first postmaster. A post office, named Seglar, probably for a local merchant, opened in 1891, and by 1896 the settlement had a cotton gin, a Baptist church, and a grocer. The post office was closed in 1906, and by the 1930s the town was no longer shown on maps.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Seglar, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/seglar-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Loading