Selden, on Farm Road 913 nine miles southeast of Stephenville in southeast Erath County, was named for John M. Selden and the ranch he established in 1855. A church, established in 1881, was called Sims Creek Church. H. Mosely was the first postmaster when the post office was established in 1890. By 1900 the population was ninety-two; it declined to twenty-five by 1910. In 1915 Selden lost its post office. In 1947 the town had sixty residents, two stores, a church, and a school. The population was seventy-one in 1980 and 1990. By 2000 the population had dropped to seven.