Senate, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


Senate is a farming community on U.S. Highway 380 nine miles southwest of Jacksboro in west central Jack County. Members of the Ham and Snodgrass families settled in the area during the mid-1850s, but the threat of Indian raids, as well as the Civil War, prevented permanent communities from developing there until the middle to late 1880s. Senate developed sometime in the late 1880s or early 1890s and in 1894 received a post office. In 1902 the tracks of the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf reached the community, and with the arrival of the railroad Senate became a retail and community center for area ranchers. By 1930 it had twenty-five residents and two businesses. In 1988 Senate was within the Bryson oilfield area and continued to serve as a community center.

Ida Lasater Huckabay, Ninety-Four Years in Jack County (Austin: Steck, 1949; centennial ed., Waco: Texian Press, 1974).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Senate, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/senate-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Place
Senate
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379052
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jack County
Associated Names

Field Senate

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.17428200°
  • Longitude: -98.29421530°
Population Counts
People Year
20 2009