Seven Oaks, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Seven Oaks is on U.S. Highway 59 eighty-eight miles north of Houston in central Polk County. It was named by an early settler for his ancestral estate in England. The completion of the Houston, East and West Texas Railway through central Polk County in 1880 led to the construction of numerous sawmills in the area. Bob, George, Dave, and Thomas Hackney built a mill at Seven Oaks, and the Hackney railroad station can be found on an 1888 railroad map. However, the Hackneys left in 1906, and C. N. Fisher and Lafayette Mason built another sawmill there. The new stop was called Seven Oaks by 1918. As locally available timber was cut out, the mills gradually closed. Though the Seven Oaks post office, established in 1886, was discontinued in 1925, Seven Oaks was incorporated on July 5, 1969, by a vote of thirty-nine to nineteen. In 1990 the population was 171. The population dropped to 131 in 2000.

Map of the Texas and Pacific Railway Connections (Rand McNally, 1888). A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Seven Oaks, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/seven-oaks-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Seven Oaks
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2411869
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: Yes
Belongs to
  • Polk County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.85183680°
  • Longitude: -94.85788600°
Population Counts
People Year
171 1990
131 2000
111 2010
118 2019