Sexton, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Sexton is at the junction of State Highway 87 and Farm Road 330, sixteen miles northwest of Hemphill in northern Sabine County. It may have been named for Franklin Barlow Sexton, a lawyer and politician who lived in Sabine County during the 1850s. The community received a post office in 1860 which was closed during the Civil War, was reestablished in 1879, and permanently closed in 1927. In 1884 Sexton had a population of thirty; in 1890 it had a store, a gristmill, and a population estimated at sixty. From 1968 through 1990 the population was estimated at twenty-seven. In 1987 the community had two churches and one small business. The population remained the same in 2000.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Sexton, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sexton-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Sexton
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1382740
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Sabine County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.56295600°
  • Longitude: -93.91102210°
Population Counts
People Year
29 2009