Shady Grove Church, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Shady Grove Church, also known as Shady Grove, is two miles north of State Highway 49 and nine miles northwest of Jefferson in northwestern Marion County. In 1938 the community had a two-room schoolhouse, which accommodated seventy-two black elementary students and two teachers. The school was consolidated with the Lassater school by 1955. In 1962 Shady Grove consisted of a church and several scattered dwellings, and the church was still marked on state highway maps in 1983.

Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Shady Grove Church, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/shady-grove-church-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Place
Shady Grove Church
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1346943
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.84291380°
  • Longitude: -94.48325370°