Shady Grove, TX (Cherokee County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Shady Grove, near the junction of U.S. Highway 84 and Farm Road 2962 eight miles northeast of Rusk in eastern Cherokee County, was probably first settled after the Civil War. A school was operation by 1896, when it had enrollment of twenty-six. In the 1930s the small community had a store and a few houses; the reported population in 1936 was twenty. After World War II the store closed, and in 1990 Shady Grove was a dispersed rural community with a church, a few scattered houses, and a population of twenty. The population reached thirty in 2000.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Shady Grove, TX (Cherokee County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/shady-grove-tx-cherokee-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Loading