Shady Grove, TX (Houston County)


By: Eliza H. Bishop

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995


Shady Grove, a farming community on U.S. Highway 287 ten miles southeast of Crockett in southeastern Houston County, was first settled in the 1850s. A post office operated there from 1855 to 1866, a Baptist church was established sometime before the mid-1860s, and the first church was rebuilt in 1896. In the mid-1930s Shady Grove included the church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II many of its residents moved away, but by the mid-1960s the church, the cemetery, and a few widely scattered houses still remained. In the early 1990s Shady Grove was a dispersed rural community.

Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Eliza H. Bishop, “Shady Grove, TX (Houston County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/shady-grove-tx-houston-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Place
Shady Grove
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1382742
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Houston County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.23407100°
  • Longitude: -95.32383000°
Population Counts
People Year
83 2009