Shaw Bend, TX


By: Karen Yancy

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


Shaw Bend, previously known as Browns Bend or Brown Bend, is in a bend of the Colorado River four miles east of State Highway 16 and ten miles northeast of San Saba in northeastern San Saba County. The community was founded around 1855 either by Stinnett Mussett, W. McShan, and Matt Brown or by Asa Madison Brown and William Calvin Shaw. It was named after W. Shaw, an early settler and Baptist preacher. In 1949 Shaw Bend reported a church and a school, but the school eventually consolidated with the San Saba school district. In 1984 the community still had a church.

Alma Ward Hamrick, The Call of the San Saba: A History of San Saba County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1941; 2d ed., Austin: Jenkins, 1969). San Saba County History (San Saba, Texas: San Saba County Historical Commission, 1983).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Karen Yancy, “Shaw Bend, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/shaw-bend-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Place
Shaw Bend
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1368066
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Saba County
Associated Names

Browns Bend

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.31238810°
  • Longitude: -98.60087500°