Shepherd's Valley, TX


By: James L. Hailey

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


Shepherd's Valley was an early community on Four Notch Road near what is now the junction of Farm roads 2929 and 2296, seven miles southeast of Huntsville in Walker County. The settlement, established in the 1850s, was south of Phelps near the old Pine Valley community. Shepherd's Valley was probably named for Jacob H. Shepperd (or Shepherd), a soldier in the Texas Revolution who received a league of land in Walker County for his participation in the war. Shepperd's neighbors included Sam Houston and Henderson Yoakum. Yoakum wrote one of the earliest Anglo-American histories of the state while he lived in Shepherd's Valley. No evidence of the community remained in 1990.

D'Anne McAdams Crews, ed., Huntsville and Walker County, Texas: A Bicentennial History (Huntsville, Texas: Sam Houston State University, 1976). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin (Walker County). Walker County Genealogical Society and Walker County Historical Commission, Walker County (Dallas, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

James L. Hailey, “Shepherd's Valley, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/shepherds-valley-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Place
Shepherds Valley
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Walker County
Associated Names

-Bottom

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.65749700°
  • Longitude: -95.44984400°