Sherman, Denison and Dallas Railway


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1996


The Sherman, Denison and Dallas Railway Company began on March 20, 1890, as an extension of the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railroad system in the state. The road was chartered to build from Denison through Sherman to Dallas, a distance of eighty miles. The capital was $100,000, and the business office was in Denison. Members of the first board of directors included B. P. McDonald and C. H. Osborn of Fort Scott, Kansas; D. A. Taylor of Hartford, Kansas; E. P. Cowan of Dallas; Tom Randolph, C. T. Lyon, and T. D. Joiner of Sherman; and R. C. Foster and A. T. Drew of Denison. The company laid ten miles of track between Sherman and Denison in 1890 but never extended it to Dallas, since the parent line already operated two lines between Dallas and Denison. The MKT purchased the Sherman, Denison and Dallas on November 11, 1891, and conveyed it to the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company of Texas on November 18, 1891.

Places:
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • Dallas
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Sherman, Denison and Dallas Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sherman-denison-and-dallas-railway.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1996

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects: