Sherry, TX


By: Claudia Hazlewood

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Sherry, six miles southwest of Clarksville in southern Red River County, developed as a trade center around a cotton gin established in the late 1890s. James W. Cornett secured a post office in his store in 1902. The office was discontinued in 1923; maps of 1926 indicate a rural church and a school. In 1984 Sherry contained a community hall, a church, and a few widely scattered houses. The population was fifteen in 2000.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Claudia Hazlewood, “Sherry, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sherry-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Sherry
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380531
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Red River County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.54344280°
  • Longitude: -95.10299990°
Population Counts
People Year
15 2009