Shiloh, TX (Titus County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Shiloh was on a bend in Ripley Creek eleven miles northwest of Mount Pleasant in northwestern Titus County. The village reached its peak sometime around the Civil War, when it had a church, a school, and a store. Its residents at that time included a doctor and a dentist. One of the community's schoolteachers was murdered in the late 1860s, and shortly thereafter the community began to decline. By 1900 it had disappeared. In 1964 the only thing left to mark the spot was the Shiloh Cemetery, which contained approximately twenty-five grave markers.

Traylor Russell, History of Titus County (2 vols., Waco: Morrison, 1965, 1966; rpt., n.p.: Walsworth, 1975).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Shiloh, TX (Titus County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/shiloh-tx-titus-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Place
Shiloh
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Titus County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.25667100°
  • Longitude: -95.10024500°