Shingle Arbor, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Shingle Arbor, also known as Arbor, was between Kelm and Black Hills four miles south of the site of present-day Emhouse in north central Navarro County. The community grew up in the late 1880s or early 1890s around a large arbor where local residents held religious services in the summer. A. L. Gamble had a store and blacksmith shop, and an Arbor post office operated briefly in 1892. The settlement began to decline after 1900; many residents moved to nearby Emhouse, located on the railroad. By the mid-1930s Shingle Arbor no longer appeared on highway maps. In 1990 the site was marked only by a grove of old oak trees.

Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History (5 vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975–84).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Shingle Arbor, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/shingle-arbor-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Loading