Shive, TX


By: William R. Hunt

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Shive, on Farm Road 221 in west central Hamilton County, was settled in the 1870s by Lewis Paullin and others and had a school, Union Hill, by 1883. A post office was established in 1884, when Robert Shive, for whom the town is named, was appointed postmaster. The post office was in a store operated by Robert and his brother, James W. Shive. The following year German settlers arrived. The community had four stores by 1908, and a cotton gin operated for some years. The post office closed in 1936. The population was fifty in 1910, sixty-four in 1940, and sixty-one in 1980 through 2000.

Hamilton County Historical Commission, A History of Hamilton County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

William R. Hunt, “Shive, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/shive-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Shive
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1368212
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hamilton County
Associated Names

Beulah

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.61237890°
  • Longitude: -98.23475850°
Population Counts
People Year
60 2009