Sigler, William Nall (1798–1854)

By: Randolph B. "Mike" Campbell and Brett J. Derbes

Type: Biography

Published: 1952

Updated: November 17, 2021


William Nall Sigler, early Texas settler and public official, was born in North Carolina in 1798, the son of Philip and Frances Elizabeth (Nall) Sigler. He married Julia Ann Garner in Perry, Alabama, on March 4, 1825. He immigrated to Texas and applied for land at Bevil in the department of Nacogdoches on November 19, 1834. The census of 1835 listed him as a farmer and a married man with a family of seven. He represented San Augustine in the Consultation and in the General Council of 1835. He served in the Texas Army as a private under the command of Capt. William Scurlock. In 1837 or 1838 he was a justice of the peace in San Augustine. He was appointed postmaster on January 18, 1847, at a place called Longwood in Sabine County. In 1850 Sigler owned real property valued at $4,000 and ten slaves in Sabine County. At that time his household included his wife, Julia Ann, and two children, a twenty-year-old son and a sixteen-year-old daughter, both born in Alabama. The Sigler family moved to Smith County where his estate went through probate early in 1854 with his wife as administrator. William Nall Sigler’s place of burial is unknown.

Helen Gomer Schluter and Blanche Finley Toole, 1850 Sabine County Census (Westminster, Colorado, 1979). Texas House of Representatives, Biographical Directory of the Texan Conventions and Congresses, 1832–1845 (Austin: Book Exchange, 1941). Gifford White, Character Certificates in the General Land Office of Texas (Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1985).

Time Periods:

  • Republic of Texas
  • Antebellum Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Randolph B. "Mike" Campbell and Brett J. Derbes, “Sigler, William Nall,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 03, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sigler-william-nall.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 17, 2021

Loading