Silas, TX


By: D. R. Taylor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 10, 2021


Silas is on Farm Road 415 six miles south of Timpson in western Shelby County. It was founded about 1880. For a time it was called Battle Ridge because of a local quarrel over its name, but eventually the community was named for Silas Baines, the first merchant. At one time Silas was a shipping point for timber on a spur of the Santa Fe Railroad and a center for lignite production. The community received a post office in 1892, and by 1896 it had a sawmill, a gin, a gristmill, two churches, and a population of 500. In 1899 it had two schools, one with ninety White children and another with fifty-four Black children. The post office was closed in 1907, and later the railroad spur was abandoned. By 1946 only a church, a school, and several residences remained. In 1988 the community had a town hall, a church, a cemetery, and widely scattered houses.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

D. R. Taylor, “Silas, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/silas-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 10, 2021

Place
Silas
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380539
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Baines Store

Battle Ridge

Bear Bayou

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.82406220°
  • Longitude: -94.39798100°
Population Counts
People Year
75 2009