Silesia was located at a site near the present Interstate Highway 10 and 410 interchange, eight miles northwest of downtown San Antonio in north central Bexar County. It was founded after the Civil War and was originally known as Elms or Paul's. In 1897 when a post office was granted, the name was changed to Silesia, reportedly after the coal-mining region of Eastern Europe, because coal was mined in the area. In 1896 there were ninety registered voters at Silesia and a population of 400. The post office was closed in 1899, but as late as the 1930s maps showed several stores and a number of houses at the site. With the expansion of San Antonio after World War II a number of suburban developments grew up in the area.