Frank Elmer Simmons, journalist and historian, was born near Friend, Nebraska, on January 15, 1880. His parents moved their family to Texas in 1883, first to Walker County and then to McLennan County. Simmons attended Walker School until 1892, then Haunted Hill School, and in 1900 Salado College. In 1901 he taught school at Horn, south of McGregor. He married Laura Alice Stapp on August 25, 1901. They had two sons and one daughter. Around 1910 they moved to Oglesby in Coryell County, where they lived for fifty-one years. Simmons began a journalistic career in 1895 as the Moody correspondent for the McGregor News. He edited the Oglesby Outlook for two years and worked as a staff writer for other country newspapers. He wrote History of Coryell County (1936), Coryell County History Stories (1948), The Legend of Haunted Hill, and Other Poems (1948), and History of Mother Neff Memorial State Park (1949). Simmons began a study of conchology after age seventy and donated specimens to state, national, and international museums. He died in Oglesby on January 9, 1966.