Simms, TX (Bowie County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Simms is nine miles southwest of Boston in southwestern Bowie County. It was named for G. W. Simms, who played a major role in securing a post office for the town in 1890. In 1892 the town had a gristmill, a gin, a store, and a population of fifty. By 1914 the population had grown to 150. It declined to a low of fifty in the 1930s. The town began to grow again in the 1940s, and in 1982 Simms had a population of 240 and four rated businesses. The population through 2000 was still reported at 240.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Simms, TX (Bowie County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/simms-tx-bowie-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Simms
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380923
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bowie County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.35039820°
  • Longitude: -94.50742420°
Population Counts
People Year
300 2014