George Morgan Slaughter, eldest son of Cynthia Ann (Jowell) and Christopher Columbus Slaughter, was born on November 2, 1862, in a log cabin on his father's Palo Pinto ranch. The family moved to Dallas when he was eleven. After preparatory school in Dallas he graduated from a military school in North Carolina before starting work on his father's newly acquired West Texas ranches. He became the principal administrator of the cattle empire owned by his family in West Texas. In 1884 Slaughter became a director of the Running Water Land and Cattle Company, organized by his father, and lived in a dugout west of Plainview. He was made ranch manager in 1890 and married Alice Louise Donohoo in 1893. They had four children. After his father bought and leased a half million acres, including 250,000 acres in Cochran and Hockley counties, Slaughter assumed management of what became the Lazy S Ranch; he moved to Roswell, New Mexico, in 1900 for better control of the extended holdings. A large alfalfa farm near Roswell became the Slaughter Hereford Home, a model breeding farm, under his direction. Slaughter also established the American National Bank in Roswell and participate in the Panhandle Stockmen's Association, whose annual meeting he hosted at Roswell in 1906. He was a Mason and belonged to the Albuquerque Temple. Slaughter died on July 15, 1915, and was buried in Roswell.
Is history important to you?
We need your support because we are a non-profit organization that relies upon contributions from our community in order to record and preserve the history of our state. Every dollar helps.
David J. Murrah, C. C. Slaughter: Rancher, Banker, Baptist (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1981). George Morgan Slaughter Collection, Southwest Collection, Texas Tech University.
Ranching and Cowboys
Ranchers and Cattlemen
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
David J. Murrah,
“Slaughter, George Morgan,”
Handbook of Texas Online,
accessed August 12, 2022,
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Original Publication Date:
June 1, 1995