Sligo, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Sligo is on a local road just south of Farm Road 213 thirteen miles northeast of Denver City and sixteen miles southeast of Plains in southeast Yoakum County. Pat and Kate McHugh, brother and sister who owned a local ranch, named the settlement for Sligo County in their Irish homeland. Sligo was the site of an early post office, established in 1903 with Kate McHugh as postmistress and discontinued and moved to Plains on April 30, 1920. In 1923 the state legislature established the Sligo Independent School District. In 1932 it was consolidated with the Fairview Common School District to form the Sligo Consolidated Independent School District. After two schools at Sligo burned, students were transferred to the Denver City Independent School District, as of September 1, 1959. In 1959 the dugout the McHughs used as a home and post office still remained. In 1980 county maps showed only the remains of a school building at Sligo.

Arthur Hecht, comp., Postal History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1960).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Irish
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Sligo, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sligo-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Sligo
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379084
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Yoakum County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.04565660°
  • Longitude: -102.69825790°