Small, TX (Van Zandt County)


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995


Small, also known as Hickory Grove and as Crossroads, was a farming community on Farm Road 859 fourteen miles northwest of Canton in northwestern Van Zandt County. It was settled in the 1880s and at its zenith it had several stores, two churches, a cemetery, a school, a gin, a gristmill, and a syrup mill. During the 1890s Small reported seventy-five residents. A post office operated there from 1900 to 1907, after which mail was delivered from Wills Point and Edgewood. In 1936 the community included a church, a school, and a number of dwellings, but by the early 1960s it had dwindled to the Pleasant Union Church and nearby Barrett Cemetery. No population statistics were available in 1988.

Van Zandt County History Book Committee, History of Van Zandt County (Dallas, 1984).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Small, TX (Van Zandt County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 05, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/small-tx-van-zandt-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Place
Small
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1347245
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Van Zandt County
Associated Names

Crossroads

Hickory Grove

Luster

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.74512680°
  • Longitude: -95.85190960°