Small was on Willis Creek six miles southeast of Jarrell in north central Williamson County. It was settled by the Irvin family about 1869 and had a store by the early 1890s. A post office operated there from 1894 to 1898. In 1896 the village had two churches, the store, a cotton gin, a livestock agent, and a music teacher. The Ake school was located one-half mile to the west of Small, and in 1903 it was the fourth largest rural school in Williamson County, with 139 pupils and three teachers. Small no longer existed as a community by 1948.