Smith Grove, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Smith Grove, at the junction of Farm roads 1280 and 1309 four miles east of Lovelady in southeastern Houston County, was established before 1900. In the mid-1930s it had a church, a store, and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, but in the mid-1960s there were still two churches, a store, and a number of houses in the area. In the early 1990s Smith Grove was a dispersed rural community for which no population estimates were available.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Smith Grove, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/smith-grove-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Place
Smith Grove
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380558
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Houston County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.13907180°
  • Longitude: -95.38549770°