Smith, TX (Upshur County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Smith was a farming community and shipping point off U.S. Highway 271 eight miles north of Gilmer in northern Upshur County. The settlement, originally known as Smith's Mill, was established in the 1880s to prepare lumber to ship on the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway. A local post office operated under the name Smith from 1897 to 1906. In the mid-1930s the community consisted of a store and a number of houses; the estimated population in 1936 was fifteen. By mid-1960s all that remained of the community was a few scattered houses. In 1990 the town no longer appeared on state highway maps.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Smith, TX (Upshur County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 17, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/smith-tx-upshur-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Loading