Smyrna, TX (Harrison County)


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: June 1, 1995

Updated: January 27, 2021


Smyrna is on Farm Road 450 just south of its intersection with Farm Road 726, seventeen miles northeast of Longview in northwest Harrison County. The site was settled in the mid-1840s, and Dr. John Chadd, who moved to the area in 1846, helped found the Smyrna Episcopal Church and a Masonic lodge. In 1897 a Smyrna school served thirty-one White pupils, and in 1904 Smyrna had a school with twenty-six Black pupils and three schools with a total of 135 White pupils. By the 1930s and 1940s Smyrna amounted to a number of widely scattered residences and several churches. In 1978 Smyrna had a church, a cemetery, and several scattered dwellings. The community was still listed in 1990.

Marshall News Messenger, August 23, 1936.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Smyrna, TX (Harrison County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/smyrna-tx-harrison-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995
January 27, 2021

Place
Smyrna
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379089
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Harrison County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.72625020°
  • Longitude: -94.63048250°