Snap, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


Snap, a farming community off State Highway 315 six miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County, was settled after the Civil War and named for Snap Cariker, a physician and early resident. A post office operated there from 1899 to 1906, when local mail was sent to Carthage. In the mid-1930s Snap consisted of a store, a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses; the community reported seven residents in 1936. After World War II its store closed and the church was disbanded. By the early 1990s only a cemetery and a few scattered dwellings remained.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Snap, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/snap-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Loading