The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Support Texas History Now

Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.

Become a TSHA Member Today »

Snyder, Dudley Hiram (1833–1921)

W. H. Atwell Biography Entry

Dudley Hiram Snyder, cattleman, was born in Mississippi in 1833. In 1854 he rode to Texas on horseback and settled on a farm at Round Rock in Williamson County. When the Civil War broke out, he secured a contract to deliver beef cattle to the Confederate Army and did so by swimming his herds across the Mississippi River. He also served as conscription officer in Williamson County. In 1868 he formed a partnership with his brother, John W. Snyder, with whom he drove large herds of cattle from Texas into Kansas, Colorado, and Wyoming. An extensive collection of manuscripts in the University of Texas archives collection records Snyder's activities as a cattleman. He had large ranches in Cooke, Mitchell, Stonewall, Lamb, and Hartley counties, one of which covered 130,000 acres. He was also one of the builders of a link line from Granger to Austin that was purchased by the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railway Company. He was a devout Methodist and a liberal benefactor of Southwestern University. Snyder married Mary Oatts of Round Rock, and they had nine children. He died at his home in Georgetown in 1921.

J. Marvin Hunter, Trail Drivers of Texas (2 vols., San Antonio: Jackson Printing, 1920, 1923; 4th ed., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1985). Snyder Family Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.


  • Ranching and Cowboys
  • Ranchers and Cattlemen

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

W. H. Atwell, “Snyder, Dudley Hiram,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 12, 2021,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995