Solms, TX


By: Oscar Haas

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Solms, four miles southwest of New Braunfels in southern Comal County, was originally known as Four Mile Creek for its location on that stream. The community was established in the late 1840s as settlers spread westward along Comal Creek. Sometime after 1880 the name of the town was changed to Solms, in honor of Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels, a leader of German immigrants to the county. Heinrich Krause operated an early store in the settlement, and in 1857 Four Mile Creek had one of the first cotton gins in the county. A post office located in the Solms store served the community from 1894 until its closing in 1903. The Four Mile Creek school joined with the Three Mile Creek and Comal Creek schools in 1902 to form the Solms school. From 1940 to 1960 the population was estimated at eighty but by the 1980s had declined to forty. New Braunfels had grown so large in 1988 that Solms practically bordered the southern edge. Through 2000 the population was still reported as forty.

Oscar Haas, History of New Braunfels and Comal County, Texas, 1844–1946 (Austin: Steck, 1968).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Oscar Haas, “Solms, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/solms-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Solms
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1347369
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Comal County
Associated Names

Four Mile Creek

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.66578140°
  • Longitude: -98.17084300°