South Franklin is a rural community located at the intersection of Farm roads 115 and 1448 about twelve miles southeast of Mount Vernon in southeastern Franklin County. The hamlet probably began sometime during the first half of the twentieth century, and county maps in the 1930s showed farms, a school, a church, and a cemetery in the area. South Franklin was one of two rural school districts in Franklin County in the 1960s and had an enrollment of seventy-five students in the 1961–62 school year. At that time the community also had four Baptist churches and one Methodist church. In 1980 South Franklin had a population of thirty, and that number remained constant in 2000. A county maintenance facility was located in South Franklin.