The South Plains and Santa Fe Railway Company was chartered on April 6, 1910, as the Crosbyton-Southplains Railroad Company. In August 1915 the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company acquired the Crosbyton-Southplains and its thirty-eight miles of track between Lubbock and Crosbyton and changed the name of the railroad on August 17, 1916. The capital stock was $200,000, and the principal office was located in Lubbock. Members of the first board of directors were E. P. Ripley, F. C. Fox, Squire H. Madden, J. N. Freeman, C. Doud, Julian M. Bassett, and A. B. Spencer. On July 1, 1918, the South Plains and Santa Fe completed a sixty-four mile line from Lubbock to Seagraves. That year it reported passenger earnings of $16,000 and freight earnings of $66,000, and owned two locomotives and five cars. In 1925 a sixty-five-mile extension was opened from Doud to Bledsoe. The South Plains and Santa Fe was leased to the Panhandle and Santa Fe on July 1, 1917, and operated by the latter company until they merged in 1948. The Santa Fe has disposed of the former South Plains and Santa Fe. In January 1990 the original segment from Lubbock to Crosbyton was sold to the Crosbyton Railroad, but operations were abandoned before the end of the year due to lack of traffic. The track between Lubbock and Seagraves as well as the line from Doud to Whiteface became the Seagraves, Whiteface and Lubbock Railroad Company in April 1990.