South San Antonio, TX

By: Claudia Hazlewood

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


South San Antonio, five miles southwest of downtown San Antonio in southwestern Bexar County, was promoted as a townsite by Charles Fowler about 1916. A post office was established in 1919, when the population reached 700. The suburban center reported a population of 3,800 in 1930 and was annexed to San Antonio in 1944. South San Antonio was a station on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad and in the 1920s and 1930s housed many employees of nearby Duncan Field.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Claudia Hazlewood, “South San Antonio, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 03, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/south-san-antonio-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Loading