Southern Pacific Terminal Company


By: Joseph L. Bart, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: February 1, 1996


The Southern Pacific Terminal Company was incorporated on July 6, 1901, to build tracks in Galveston to serve the docks of the Southern Pacific steamers and other industries in the city. The road was operated by its own organization from July 9, 1901, through August 31, 1906; leased to and operated by the Galveston, Harrisburg, and San Antonio Railway Company from September 1, 1906, through February 28, 1927; leased to and operated by the Texas and New Orleans Railroad Company from March 1, 1927, through October 31, 1961; and leased and operated by the Southern Pacific Company from November 1, 1961, through August 31, 1962, at which time it was merged into the Southern Pacific company.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Joseph L. Bart, Jr., “Southern Pacific Terminal Company,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 06, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/southern-pacific-terminal-company.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
February 1, 1996