Southlake is at the intersection of State Highway 114 and Farm Road 1709, on Southlake and the St. Louis Southwestern Railway seventeen miles north of Fort Worth in northern Tarrant and southern Denton counties. It is bordered by Grapevine, Keller, and Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. By the 1960s the scattered community had incorporated. The estimated population was 1,250 in 1966 and 2,031 in 1970. People moving from cities to the rural atmosphere of Southlake caused phenomenal growth in the 1980s, when the population grew from 2,808 in 1980 to 7,065 in 1990. Most of the population (6,823) was in Tarrant County, and the remaining 242 were in Denton County. By 1990 six manufacturers in the community produced engines, concrete products, and food packaging. Southlake had become the third largest community in Tarrant County, after Fort Worth and Arlington. The population tripled in 2000 reaching 21,519.