Sowers, TX

By: Lisa C. Maxwell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Sowers was eleven miles northwest of Dallas in an area now in Irving in northwestern Dallas County. E. D. Sowers, believed to have settled in the area in 1848 and owner of the first store in the community, gave his name to the post office when it was established in 1881. At that time the community was sometimes called Sowers Store and had the store, a school, and two physicians. By 1884 the town had a population of seventy-five, a church, a school, a doctor, a blacksmith, a druggist, and two steam gristmill-cotton gins. The population rose to 121 before the removal of its post office in 1905 and remained steady throughout the 1930s. Three businesses were located in the community in 1936. The population was thirty in 1956.

John H. Cochran, Dallas County: A Record of Its Pioneers and Progress (Dallas: Arthur S. Mathis, 1928). Dallas Times Herald, May 28, 1949.

Places:

  • Communities
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Lisa C. Maxwell, “Sowers, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 21, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sowers-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading