Sparks, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Sparks is on Farm Road 95 and the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, eleven miles southeast of Belton in southeastern Bell County. It grew up around the railroad station in the late nineteenth century and was probably named for the Sparks family, the original owners of the site. Sparks had a post office from 1897 to 1906. The rural district school in Sparks had fifty-two pupils and one teacher in 1903. In 1933 the community had sixty-one inhabitants and one business. By 1964 it had declined to a population of thirty, and a church was located a short distance to the east of the railway station. Through 2000 the population was still thirty.

George Tyler, History of Bell County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Sparks, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sparks-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Sparks
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1368875
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bell County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.92851820°
  • Longitude: -97.35972420°
Population Counts
People Year
40 2009