Spiller's Store, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Spiller's Store is at the intersection of Farm roads 977 and 1119, ten miles south of Centerville in southern Leon County. It was probably named for a store run by the Spiller family at the site and was founded in the 1870s. A school taught by A. S. Spiller was operating in the community by the 1870s. In 1907 the school was called Pleasant Grove School, and Pleasant Grove Cemetery was located nearby. By 1940 the school was no longer in operation, and Spiller's Store had a cemetery and scattered dwellings. In 1972 the community had two cemeteries and scattered dwellings. It was still listed on state highway maps in 1990.

Leon County Historical Book Survey Committee, History of Leon County (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Spiller's Store, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/spillers-store-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Spiller's Store
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Leon County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.13879520°
  • Longitude: -95.86467560°