Spivey, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Spivey was twelve miles north of Center in northern Shelby County. It was established in the 1860s and named for the Spivey family, early settlers in the area. The community received a post office in 1890, with Isaac W. Spivey as postmaster. The post office was discontinued in 1903 and the mail forwarded to nearby Paxton. In 1896 the community had a sawmill, the Friendship Baptist Church, Friendship Cemetery, and a population estimated at fifty. By 1946 Spivey had ceased to exist as a named community.

Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Spivey, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/spivey-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Place
Spivey
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Paxton

Eagle Mills

Sholar