Spring Hill, on Farm Road 300 in northeastern Gregg County, was founded before 1900. During the oil boom of the early 1930s the town became the site of several oilfield camps. By the late 1930s most of the oil workers had left; in 1940 the community had a consolidated school, two stores, and a population of 140. With the development of neighboring Longview after World War II, Spring Hill experienced a new surge of growth. By 1984 its population had increased to 1,458. On October 7, 1983, the area was annexed by Longview.