St. John is on Farm Road 957 four miles southwest of Schulenburg at the southern boundary of Fayette County. It had a saloon and store combination and a cotton gin built around the Catholic church which served the local German and Czech farmers. Both the church and the community were dedicated on June 24, 1894, the feast of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist. Cotton farming in St. John stopped during the 1960s, and the gin was dismantled. Mail was delivered from Schulenburg, where St. John children attended school. In 1987 a restaurant, a filling station, a welding shop, and the St. John Church remained to serve an area of farms and ranches devoted primarily to the production of cattle and hay, on gently rolling lands overlooking the West Fork of the Navidad River.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Jeff Carroll, “St. John, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 28, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/st-john-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.