St. Thomas Chapel, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

St. Thomas Chapel, on State Highway 21 fourteen miles south of Rusk in southern Cherokee County, was probably settled around the time of the Civil War. A school for black children was in operation by 1896, when it had an enrollment of twenty-seven. In the mid-1930s the community comprised a church, a school, a store, and a number of houses. The school was later closed, though in the early 1990s a church and cemetery and two stores still remained in the area.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “St. Thomas Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 17, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/st-thomas-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Loading