St. Viola, TX


By: Vista K. McCroskey

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995


St. Viola is a church community at the intersection of Farm roads 2767 and 2908, four miles east of Tyler in central Smith County. It is bordered by Antioch Branch to the north and Harris Creek to the west. In 1936 the community consisted of a church, a cemetery, two businesses, and twelve dwellings at the crossing of two dirt roads. By 1952 local children attended classes within the Chapel Hill Independent School District. A 1972 map showed a church, a cemetery, and a sizeable collection of homes at St. Viola. The community was still shown on the 1981 county highway map.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vista K. McCroskey, “St. Viola, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/st-viola-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Place
St. Viola
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Smith County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.37431580°
  • Longitude: -95.16133540°